May 7, 2010

Three Good Witches












Well, where did the inspiration come for this? It wasn't the quote below, that's for sure! But you get three guesses, if not wishes,  as to the real inspiration. Clues at the end of the post.



William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

from Macbeth (a short excerpt)



A dark Cave. In the middle, a Caldron boiling. Thunder.
Enter the three Witches.


2 WITCH. Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

3 WITCH. Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
Witches' mummy; maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat, and slips of yew
Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,—
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingrediants of our caldron.

ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.




 Clicking for big gives you a bowl of brew - yuck! :)




The possible nominees for the three witches' identities, in no particular order, are:


Of course each of these people are all marvellous artists. The clues are on their sites.


The first correct guessee for all three witches wins a weekend for two at either 1) one of Ces' water side luxury apartments or 2) At Saint Enrico the Dwarven Acrobat and Chicken Sexer's apartment in Paris, Tasmania. Or eight free lessons at Maria's Exotic Dance Academy for Young Ladies (PG recommended)*

thanks for looking :)

PS thanks to everyone who remarked on the new banner :)
And to set the record straight: All three young witches are appropriately dressed, and it is lolly water in the bottles.


Footnote * Prizes subject to availability

20 comments:

  1. "Double, double toil and trouble... Fire burn, and caldron bubble!!" AHAHAHA...!!!

    Your brilliant and facetious mind has once again sent me whooshing with the wind with this piece!! I feel the burning in my eyes, of course from not blinking and taking in all the glorious details.. No, no, let's not cool them with the baboon's blood since I'm very much content with them being on fire..heehee.

    Now any of these wonderful female artists could be the witches? Ah, I'm so profoundly flattered that you've even considered an insignificant little old me... Well, I'm guessing Ces and Mita are among them, but the third? I must say I haven't a clue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ackh, what the heck! I'm guessing the third one is Bella... So If I won, would there be a welcoming cauldron of brewing frogs instead of a fruit basket in my room? (^)^) hehehee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, wait! How come the one on the left is the only one with half painted face? Or is it a mask? Hhmmm...??

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so cool Andrew! I am trying to figure out who they are. I'm thinking Ces on the right and Mita in the center, but I am not sure about the third. Maybe Amalia is right and it is Bella? You have stumped me sir, but it is an awesome image! Oh and thank you for including me in the lineup of possible inspiration. I am honored by the nomination and the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Andrew, I am here! I spent two days looking for discopants and psychopants but could not find a them. So I decided to wear elepants, they are also known as trunks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well these witches are cute. They look like my daughter's American Girl Dolls! I shall guess later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay this is my guess:

    Amalia (mask), Mita (redhead) and I don't mean to be presumptuous, but that may be me after eating six cake doughnuts for breakfast.

    BTW, "Some" men are beautiful indeed. I am just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. J'adore, j'adore, j'adore...! C'est mon préféré!!!
    Mi-coquines, mi-ensorceleuses...

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I had tardive dyskinesia and delerium tremens from being prevented from opening your blog this morning. Mita thinks you are having a liposuction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. im so clueless...

    ReplyDelete
  11. im reading some comments...
    why is mita the redhead one??
    im not that red.

    my guess: Amalia (she is wearing a mask, for god's sake...), Jodie Foster, and.... Lucy Liu?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my second guess:

    Amalia, Mita the Vampire Slayer, Whoopie Goldberg

    This is my third guess:

    The Phantom of the Camera, The Redheaded Stepchild and the Librarian

    Hello Apolonia Vitelli. You are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Andrew! This is so cool! I'm pretty sure that Ces is at the right and Mita is in the Middle. Possibly Bella is at the left. Did you find a bottle with a Genie and he granted you three witches? :o) No wait... those eyes... I think the one on the left is Amalia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy gall of goat! This is fantastic! I love all the technicolor toxic fumes. Breathing deeply....

    Oooh, I'm in the lineup? Hahahaha, what an honor. Okay, I think Ces is right. Amalia, Mita, Ces, in that order.

    You look mighty good for 98, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hah! Ha! Now I just read everyone's comments. And I have just spilt my milk all over my Johnsons Baby Apples.

    I'm deeply honoured to be in touch with such a wonderful bunch of talented artists - with such a great sense of humour. :)

    Thankyou for everyone being kind enough to humour my humour as well.

    Well I have to admit I thought Amalia would be the easy one to pic, because of the mask. I didn't want to make it too similar to Amalia's mask because that would be missappropriation on my part!

    But for the other two?

    Well, I'm afraid Ces is right, that she is the first totally correct "Guesserree".

    So, in the middle we have the wild litle witch Mita, and on the right a slightly swollen Ces from eating too many cream puffs.

    Now that is very lucky, because Ces gets to pick her prize. :) There's still a chance that Joe Beale will offer to do a live modelling session on webcam for the lucky winner.

    (Ces: I'd recommend you go with prize number 1. :) )

    Ciao for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alrighty, I just double checked again. If that witch on the left is supposed to be me (drinking a very suspicious brand of liquor!), I had to make sure that you did good on your words that the witches WERE in fact appropriately dressed! HAHAHA...!!! Thank you, my good fellow, like I said, you're a genius. :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, so it seems we need to be careful with our published images as they might be interpreted as self-portraits by a witchmaker.

    Well then. I feel obliged to declare that - in spite of popular guesses - my fearless creature is not necessarily me.

    Except on my PMS days.

    P.S. The second sentence is not supposed to be a self-promotion, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I go away for a few days on a weekend-trip, and miss all this fun?!!?
    What a great idea and concept, Andrew! I bet they´re making a magic potion to make tax-men veeeeryyy sleeeepyyyyy.....zzzzzz.....

    ReplyDelete

Hya! Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate your time and thoughts.